Thursday, January 20, 2011

Two weeks in, and what have I learned?

I haven't caught up with all the older posts I have semi-typed-out in MS Word, but cool, interesting, funny, and/or vaguely embarrassing stuff keeps happening.

Briefly, then: I'm talking with one of the other teachers at AHS. I tell him that I've been in Vietnam for all of two weeks.

He is surprised. "Well, what have you learned in those two weeks?"

A lot, really, but the most surprising thing just pops out. "Riding a motorbike doesn't leave me sucking my thumb and hugging my teddy bear anymore. It's actually gotten to be kind of fun. You know, risking death on a minute-by-minute basis and pulling it off through manly courage and cat-like reflexes is pretty invigorating."

He shakes his head. "That is a bad, bad sign."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you'll either die here, or never want to leave. Either way, you aren't going home."

1 comment:

  1. Heh. Well, Sean remains in Africa most of the time, doesn't he? Perhaps we'll need to write a song about you too, O!

    Also, I love the acronym for your school. Every time I read "AHS" I mentally pronounce it "ass."

    But that's the kind of guy I am. :)

    ReplyDelete